We have had a long relationship with the Vegetarian Society and are happy to promote their ideals and themes. The Vegetarian Society exists to influence, inspire and support people to embrace and maintain a vegetarian lifestyle. We work constructively with businesses, government agencies, policy makers and professionals, whilst always remaining independent. We rely on membership subscriptions and donations to carry out this vital work. Established in 1847, we are the oldest vegetarian organisation in the world. Our headquarters, housing the Cordon Vert cookery school as well as our small staff team, are in Altrincham, Greater Manchester. (www.vegsoc.org
Anne’s Mushroom Stroganoff
Preparation time 10 minutes
Cooking time 15-20 minutes
1 tbsp olive oil
250g mushrooms, sliced
2 shallots, chopped
1 red pepper, chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
250ml vegetable stock
½ tsp dried, crushed chillies
110g basmati rice
200ml soya single cream
Ground black pepper, to taste
1. Heat the olive oil in a frying pan and then add the mushrooms, shallots and red pepper. Cook until they soften and most of the liquid has disappeared. Add the garlic and cook for 2 more minutes.
2. Add the vegetable stock and chillies to the frying pan. Cook for 7 minutes, until about half of the liquid has reduced.
3. Whilst the stroganoff is cooking, begin to cook the rice according to packet instructions.
4. Add the cream and a generous amount of pepper to the stroganoff, then simmer for approximately 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
5. Once cooked, spoon out the rice onto plates and spoon the stroganoff on top.
6. Enjoy with garlic bread (use gluten/wheat free bread if required)
Recipe created by Anne Clark from Brentwood for the Vegetarian Society’s ‘Surprisingly simple’ member recipe competition, part of National Vegetarian Week 2013 (www.nationalvegetarianweek.org
Image © The Vegetarian Society 2013